Care and assistance for children - formal facilities

  • Just over 95,000 formal childcare places

    In 2019, there were 95,027 formal childcare places for babies and toddlers in the Flemish Community. This concerns childcare that takes place in a professional environment and against payment. These childcare facilities need a permit from Child and Family (Kind en Gezin).

    In 2019 the number of childcare places increased slightly, as in most previous years. Stagnation only occurred in 2018.

  • Most places have means-tested rates

    In 2019, 73% of the childcare places for babies and toddlers were organised in group day-care centres or in collaboration with childminders. The remainder of the places were in small-scale family childcare.

    For 76% of the childcare places, the fee that parents have to pay is dependent on their income. For the remaining 24%  places unregulated fees are used.

    The majority of formal childcare facilities of the Flemish Community are organised in the Flemish Region. More than 7% of these places are organised in the Brussels-Capital Region. In the Brussels-Capital Region, there are also childcare facilities for the French-speaking Community. These childcare places are not included in these figures.

     

  • 45 places per 100 children in Flemish Region

    In 2019, almost 90,000 childcare places were available in the Flemish Region. With a population of around 200,000 babies and toddlers, this means 44.9 childcare places per 100 children aged 0 to 3.

    There is a considerable variation in the availability of formal childcare facilities between the municipalities. In 2019, the proportion of places was lowest in Grobbendonk (18 places per 100 children), and highest in Bever (130 places per 100 children). Bever has thus more available childcare places than the number of children living there, these places can also be taken by children from outside the municipality. The number of childcare places per 100 children is highest in West Flanders, East Flanders and around Leuven.

     

Sources

Kind en Gezin: Childcare 

Publication date

9 July 2020

Next update

June 2021

More numbers

Previous revisions