Official Development Assistance (ODA)
Flanders Department of Foreign Affairs, Directorate-General for Development Cooperation and Humanitarian Aid (DGD), processed by Statistics Flanders
Official Development Assistance or ODA: the expenditures which comply with the official criteria for development cooperation. These criteria are established at an international level by the 30 members of the Development Assistance Committee (DAC) of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
An expenditure is considered to be ODA if it meets the following criteria:
1. Official: it is development assistance funded by government organisations
2. Development: the main aim is economic and social development
3. Assistance: the contribution is genuine aid, not a commercial transaction against market conditions
4. The aid goes to a country or international institution that is included in the list of recipient countries.
Remarks on quality
The Flemish official development assistance (ODA) consists of payments made by the Flemish government which comply with the OECD’s ODA criteria. Within the total ODA, two flows can be distinguished, each of which roughly accounts for half of the total ODA:
1) expenditures in the context of development cooperation policy managed by the Department of Foreign Affairs;
2) other ODA: other policy areas of the Flemish government also release funds for projects, programmes, funds or institutions that benefit developing countries.
The total Belgian ODA is equal to the federal ODA expenditures plus the ODA expenditures of the federated states, the provincial and the municipal authorities.
The Development Cooperation service of the Flanders Department of Foreign Affairs of the Government of Flanders is responsible for data collection and quality control. This service frequently works with the federal government in this and is in contact with the Statistics Working Group of the DAC Working Group on Development Financing Statistics (WP-STAT) of the OECD.
Flanders Department of Foreign Affairs: