Renewable energy

  • Nearly 7% of total energy consumption is renewable energy

    The share of renewable energy in the gross final energy consumption was 6.9% in 2018. This share reached only 1.9% in 2005. This figure not only includes domestic production of green electricity, heating and cooling, but also the use of renewable energy sources for transport purposes.

  • Share of green electricity rising sharply

    Total gross green electricity production in 2018 amounted to 8,525 gigawatt-hours (GWh). Since 2005, green electricity production has increased more than eightfold. The share of green electricity production in the Flemish gross electricity consumption was 14.2% in 2018.

    The final consumption of green energy for heating and cooling amounted to 5.3% of the total gross final consumption for heating and cooling in 2018. In 2018, 92% of green energy for heating applications was supplied by biomass-based installations. The remaining 8% came from heat pumps, heat pump boilers and solar boilers.  

    The share of renewable energy in transport (biofuels and green electricity) within the final energy consumption in transport was 6.6% in 2018. In this sector, biofuels dominate with a share of 85% on the use of green electricity (15%).

  • Share of solar and wind energy in green electricity production grows

    Installations of new solar panels and wind turbines further increased the share of solar and wind energy: from 15% of green electricity production in 2005 to 60% in 2018. Since 2016, more green electricity has been generated from sun and wind than from bioenergy. Production based on biological material - biomass, biogas and the organic fraction of household waste - accounted for 40% of green electricity production in 2018.

Sources

Flemish Energy Agency (VEA): Energy statistics 

Definitions

Gross final energy consumption: sum of the energy raw materials supplied for energy purposes to all sectors outside the energy sector (electricity and refineries). This includes the use of electricity and heat by the energy sector itself and the grid losses in the production and distribution of electricity and heat. The non-energetic end use of the industry is not included.

Gigawatt hours (GWh): a unit of electrical energy of 1 billion watt-hours.

Publication date

18 February 2020

Next update

January 2021

More numbers

Previous revisions